Sunday, January 18, 2009

Post No. 49 NYC Emergency Response to Flight 1549

I was driving into the city on the westside highway on Thursday when I first heard of the Flight 1549 plane, which crashed into the hudson river. By the time I reached 96th street, the traffic was completely stopped, and what seemed like a hundred emergency responders were blaring their sirens and screaming over their loudspeakers for drivers to get their cars out of the way immediately! As always, I keep my camera within arms reach, so it was a no braner for me to start shooting. This photo was taken near 56th street, where all traffic was being diverted to the east. As you see, there is a stream of emergency vehicles continuing to make way through traffice. There were probabaly 30 police and fire vehicles in this group! I have to say that it was the most incredible emergency response I have ever seen in person. I've never seen so many police, fire, medic vehicles, and other unmarked vehicles respond to any single event as this. It was most certainly warranted and as we all know, the result was over 150 lives saved! The heroism began with the pilot, Chelsey B. Sullenberger III, but continued with the flight crew and passengers, ferryboat operators and passengers, and emergency responders. When I reflect on the tremendous beauty of the collective effort put into saving the lives of those on Flight 1549, I can't help but become overwhelmed with emotion. Hats off to all of those involved! Bravo

1 comment:

Donna j. Gehl said...

Thanks for sharing this story. It's always so interesting to know what real New Yorkers are seeing and feeling when something like this happens.